- This event has passed.
February 12, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Don’t get lost on your next kayak adventure – Learn to navigate with Wikiloc
Were you ever afraid that you would get lost in the mangroves or on a hiking trail? PCPC members are welcome to attend an SFK (Southwest Florida Kayakers) instructional presentation on the use of Wikiloc.
Wikiloc is a free GPS based tracking app used on your smart phone regardless of where you are. Many local paddlers now use Wikiloc to record their own kayak tracks, to follow the tracks of others, and even to draw their own tracks for future adventures.
Did you ever hear about the importance of boaters filing a “float plan”? A float plan allows others to know your approximate track and planned destination in case you don’t return on schedule. Wikiloc goes one step further. If it suits your purposes, Wikiloc can allow multiple family members or friends to follow you in “real time” while you are on the water (or land).
The presentation will address the following topics –
1) Using Wikiloc to record your track, including distance, speed, and exact location
2) Maintaining a personal library of your tracks
3) Following the tracks of fellow local paddlers, as well as the over 10 million tracks in the world-wide Wikiloc library.
4) Using Wikiloc settings to allow others to follow your location in “real time” – for safety reasons.
5) Maintaining cumulative statistics of your adventures.
6) Separating your adventures by category, such as kayaking, hiking, biking, etc.
7) Private vs Public tracks
8) Downloading your track or the tracks of others to your hand-held GPS for navigation purposes
9) Drawing your own track on your home computer using Google Earth, and then following that track on your smart phone and/or GPS.
WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL PARTICIPANTS TO DOWNLOAD THE FREE WIKILOC APP TO THEIR SMART PHONE AT LEAST ONE WEEK BEFORE THIS SESSION.
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BENEFIT FROM THE PRESENTATION, THEN –
1) Order the upgraded paid version of Wikiloc (reasons below)
2) BRING YOUR PERSONAL GPS and LAPTOP COMPUTER. (You should label your personal GPS with your name just in case identical GPS models start getting passed around).
You will learn more from the presentation if you are already familiar with the basic features of Wikiloc. In order to do so, download the app, register your user name (be creative), and then try to record a trip or two. Your first Wikiloc track can be as easy as recording a walk around your neighborhood. Please know that you can erase any track you record, and that you do not have to share the track with others.
You can record and follow your own tracks with the free basic version of Wikiloc. The upgraded version (about $5.00 ?) allows you to follow or download the tracks of others, draw a trip on your computer (using Google Earth), and then download those tracks to your phone or GPS.
We have attached a picture of the Wikiloc logo you will see on the screen when finding and and downloading the smartphone Wikiloc app. A sample Wikiloc track is below –
This venue may not have sufficient internet capability to allow you to practice all of the above during the presentation. Consider bringing the proper cables (if needed) to allow yourself to use your smart phone as a “hot-spot” for your own computer access. You should also bring the cable needed to connect your GPS to your laptop computer.
After the meeting, those interested will drive to a local bar/restaurant for food, beverages, and socializing. There will not be a quiz afterwards, and PFDs are not required.