So you’ve planned a healthy get-away to reboot your life, but you’ve stressed yourself to the max getting ready for your departure. So here are 6 ways to stay in balance.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Dehydration can put stress on your body and actually manifest symptoms of anxiety. If flying, take your own bottle of water. Empty it before you pass through TSA security and then refill it on the other side. Many airports now have water refilling stations near restrooms.
- Pack light so you’re not exhausting yourself by dragging and managing heavy suitcases. Unless you’re going to a third-world country, you should be able to streamline what you need. Stick with the basics. You can always buy items at your destination.
- Check in Online & Get There Early. If you’re traveling by plane, you can do an online check-in which reduces stress. Plus get to the airport early so you don’t get anxious about getting through the security checkpoints. If traveling by car, make sure to get your vehicle serviced before hitting the road to avoid any problems. Be up to date on oil changes, etc.
- Be mindful about your personal belongings. When stressed, it’s easy to get mindless about money, credit cards, passport, etc. So have a designated place for these items and mindfully place what you need where you need them. Be consistent and make it a habit so there’s no question that you have what you need.
- Pack healthy snacks. Nuts and fruits are excellent combinations to give you protein and healthy sugars. In a pinch, you might take dried fruits. Other easy-to-pack options to consider are hard-boiled eggs for a quick protein pick-me-up or a smoothie to drink on the way.
- Rest, restore, meditate. It helps to practice non-reaction to all the irritations that occur when traveling. Having enough sleep allows your coping mechanisms to work more efficiently. Or learn a simple meditation technique that you can use anywhere and anytime. A simple approach is to take a few very slow deep breaths which signals the body to calm down and activates the relaxation response.
For a transformational practice, download Integrative Relaxation for Travelers to your phone, which in 20 minutes delivers the equivalent of 3-4 hours of deep sleep. Based on the ancient teachings of Amrit Yoga Nidra, it’s highly restorative.
Safe and healthy travels! (Article by Peggy Sealfon)